Micky has been doing all of the hurricane posting. He is a man. He is an engineer. He is Micky Blackburn. The point I am trying to make is, he does not elaborate. He has not told you any of the emotional parts of this story. So, I will take a few minutes an fill you in. Today has been an emotional day for me. When you look at the pictures things might not look that bad, but emotionally, things are not great.
It has been a week since Angleton ordered the mandatory evacuation. For those who have never experienced such a thing, mandatory means that if you choose to stay, you understand that there will be no support services for you - no hospital, no fire, no police, no stores, no food, etc. You must be able to sustain yourself during and after the storm. I am pregnant. We have a small child. My father's health is not always 100%. We are smart people, so we left. Take note: I am 29 weeks pregnant. I am within the window for no travel. However, my doctor told me to leave if they say to leave. The drive was hard on me - discomfort and swelling. I tried, as best I could to stay calm. But let me tell you, when you have to pack your things and leave everything you have behind, it is hard to stay calm. We said over and over again, it is only "stuff." Stuff can be replaced. True, BUT - that isn't what you are REALLY thinking...I kept thinking about the depression era furniture in Ava's room that was Micky's grandmother's, my grandmother's claw foot end table, my wedding dress, Ava's baptism dress, all of the things Micky and I have worked so hard for...the past 9 years of our lives together as a family.
During the storm, from about 9 pm to about 6 am, someone in the family was awake, and watching the TV. We were all worried sick about Tracey, the girls and Jarrett. Truth be told, we were furious with Tracey for staying, which compounded the anxiety we were all feeling. By Saturday morning, we were worn out, tense and everyone was a little on edge. Ava was sent to the Gidney's to play for the day - Thank you Emelia!
By Staurday afternoon, we knew that Minnie and Bill had a large tree in their garage, Tracey had storm damage, and our rent house was okay. We knew Tracey and the girls were safe. We knew Jarrett had a rough night, but was okay. A few of our tensions were relieved. The dogs and Ava were tired of living hotel life.
Sunday was stressful. Mom was anxious about her house. Dad was exhausted. Micky and I were on edge. We decided to head back to Angleton - even though we did not have power. We made a plan to buy gas and groceries on our way home. Minne said we could stay at her house because she had power and water was safe to drink. Ava and I would stay there for sure - I had no business being in the heat.
Monday we traveled - again - hard on the pregnant girl - and Lucy - she got car sick. When the Kroger in College Station had no bread, ice or coolers, I panicked. But, the Sara Lee man was just around the corner, and dad found 2 coolers and ice! We had milk, chicken, peanut butter, bread, eggs and fruit!
So, Tuesday was spent cleaning up the yard. Minnie made dinner - YUM! Micky and Ava and I spent the night at Minnie's. Our house was cool, but I think Micky wanted/needed to be with his girls. Wednesday, still no power - again, the Blackburn's stayed with Minnie. At this point, we are starting to feel like a huge burden to the Hills (Jarrett's parents).
That brings me to today. We still have no power. The power line is hanging in our back yard. Mom and dad still have no power. I am back at work. The building stinks! My office isn't too bad. We are waiting on the estimate from the cleaning/restoration company to determine how long it will take to get the school back and running.
I cried all the way to work today. I am so overwhelmed. I am thankful that we are all alive, that our houses have suffered none or minimal damage, and that we will eventually be able to say that we survived IKE. But let me tell you, this has been one huge roller coaster ride. We put on a happy face for Ava - for each other. But, we are all wearing out. No power. Unsure how long it will take to get power, to resock grocery store shelves, to get back to normal living - today, it feels like too much to handle. I haven't slept in my own bed for a week. I have tried to manage the stress level...but...
I know I have avid blog readers...I really thought only a few of you were reading, but I am finding out that many read regularly.....So, this message is to all of you, because if you take the time to read our blog, you must care about our family....
Please pray for our endurance and strength. Please pray for my precious baby boy. I am worried about him. Many of you know the pain and grief Micky and I suffered trying to have another baby. We feel so blessed to have been given this opportunity. Please pray that a hedge of protection be placed around this baby - and that nothing - environmental, stress, etc. harm this precious baby. I try to take care of myself, but these are extreme circumstances...very little I can control right now. Pray for a healthy baby boy - this is my one true request.
We will continue to update with news and pictures.
1 comment:
Dear God,
I pray for what Kim so eloquently asked. Please be with them, and all of the people impacted by Ike, and keep them close. Please let them feel the love and concern we have for all (four!) of them.
In Christ's name I pray, amen.
~~~~~
Take care, guys -shawn
Post a Comment