
It pained Micky and I to see Ava attached to all the moitors. I was scared of her. I had taken care of lots of babies in my life, but when it came to her, I froze. Micky was far better at caring for her in the NICU than I was- and she was the second infant he had ever held (Mallory was the first, a mere 6 months earlier)! I captured several sweet moments of Micky snuggling with her. Even though she was big compared to the other babies in the NICU, she was still so tiny! Micky went shopping one afternoon by himself to pick out a premie outfit for her to wear home! She already had him wrapped around her tiny little finger!
After 6 months, Ava was off of the apnea machine and doing well. We had finally figured out the right combination of medication and formula to make the reflux bearable. I thank Dr. Scott and Dr. Baker for that! Ava was meeting milestones according to her actual age not her adjusted age!
At one, we got tubes! We had suffered through 3 horrible ear infections and Dr. Scott knew that the infections were probably related to the reflux, so we were referred early to the ENT, Dr. Murray. After tubes, Ava was not sick for a year! She walked at 12 months, and had quite a vocabulary! Momma and quack were her first words!

At two, Ava was speaking in 5+ word sentences and had started to develop quite the personality! This year was marked with potty training, a big girl room and bed and chronic sinus infections, pneumonia and a slight immune deficiency. Her immune system was a little immature. "Melmo" (Elmo) was the local celebrity, and Ava loved to play with her kitchen. Ava became left hand dominate.
At three we started dance with Miss Rhonda. Micky and I discovered that Ava was not afraid of performing....in fact, she puts on quite the show! Our vocabulary was growing daily and she was beginning to read environmental print! At three, her independence began to show! Ava loved jewelry, wearing James Avery to church and special events! Her immune system finally matured, and we haven't had near the trouble with sinus infections since! At five, we are ready for Kindergarten! I can't believe it! Ava insists on wearing dresses to Kindergarten, and wanted a fancy backpack and matching lunchbox for school! She talks nonstop! She asks tons of questions! Ava is reading level one readers! She is learning to ride her bike without training wheels. Hide and seek is her favorite game. She is healthy and growing taller every day! Ava is a sweet, funny and creative little girl!
My dear sweet Ava Grace, I thank God every day for you....your smile, your laugh, your creativity, your sweet and gentle nature, your questions, our conversations, your hugs and kisses! What a blessing you are!
"What a difference you've made in my life.
What a difference you've made in my life.
You're my sunshine day and night,
Oh, What a difference you've made in my life!" - Ronnie Milsap
No comments:
Post a Comment