Monday, December 22, 2008

In the 9th month of pregnancy my baby gave to me...

....Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!

Seriously? It all started when I would wake in the night and my hands would be "asleep" and my arm and palms would hurt. I just figured it was how I was laying, and go back to sleep. Well, then, it would happen in the middle of the day, and I would be unable to write or even twist the cap off a bottle of water!

So, I did a little research, and discovered that this is a common occurrence. And, I remembered that when my hands had turned blue last summer(yes, blue) and we were in the emergency room, they commented that Carpal Tunnel was common in pregnant women (but more than likely NOT what was causing my hands to be blue!). (Okay, my hands seriously just turned blue one day, and it was a little freaky, so we decided to check it out. You know it had to be on a weekend, so the on call OB said to go to the ER - and we did - cuz' it was a little weird. I drew quite a crowd, and they determined everything was fine, and it never happened again).

Well, my hands STILL hurt and my fingertips are nice and tingly (actually, now it is only my right hand...and...I am right handed...making it a little hard to do simple daily tasks). Someone recently told me it can take up to 6 weeks to go back to normal! Are you kidding me? When I was drying my hair today, I could not feel the brush in my hands! Really, it is an inconvenience and a bit on the annoying side! I go to the Dr. in 3 weeks, and if it isn't back to normal then, hopefully he will have advice.

Seriously, who knew this could happen during pregnancy?

No comments: