Saturday, May 30, 2009

Look what I can do.....

....Yep, sit up AND read!!! I am such a smart boy!

I thought I would take a minute and explain the daycare situation. I wasn't going to, but then I read a blog post about another person's daycare woes, and decided enough is enough...So, here goes...

I am a working mom. Period. End of sentence. Really???...well, almost 4 years ago, Micky and I decided that I should go back to school and get my master's, knowing that this would take me down a different career path that we had originally thought. But, he encouraged me, and thought it would ultimately improve our quality of life in many aspects. About 3 years ago, we decided that we wanted to have another baby. After our first loss, I had my heart set on being a stay at home mom...thinking that if I committed myself to my family, then surely we would be blessed with another child...Really??? Micky told me no...we could not afford to...so I kept going to school, and eventually graduated and got a different job...and ultimately got that second baby...The entire time I was pregnant, I kept thinking that possibly I should be a stay at mom. But, that isn't what the Lord had planned for me. But, the next best thing happened...I moved close to my parents, and mom and dad kept little brother for 8 weeks after I went back to work.

Well, eventually our house was ready, and I had to send the little guy to daycare. I was thrilled that the Children's Lighthouse on the way to work had an opening. It was privately owned (not corporate) and looked clean and happy. Sign us up! Well, weeks went by, and I just could not mesh with the teachers. I would try to make conversation and ask about my little guy's day, and I got very short responses, or "He's really fussy." Really? My sweet, happy baby? Fussy? then I would ask, "has he talked to you yet?" Their response day after day was that he just sat and looked around. I was so confused. At home he talked, babbled, cooed...laughed! But all they seemed to be able to tell me was that he was fussy and that they could not hold him all day (hen tell what my $200 a week gets me exactly).

Well, one day when I picked him up, they told me he was exceptionally fussy. I got his stuff and left. They were right he was fussy. When I looked at his sheet, he had had 4 bowel movemets that day! 4! Are you kidding me? Pretty soon, he errupted, and we began the first of 10 long days of a stomach bug! My son was clearly sick, and they did NOTHING!!! When we made a courtesy call to let them know he was sick (you know, in a room full of infants!) they were like...umm...okay? When he was gone for 10 days, NO CALL!!! Not even to collect their money!!! Then, when he did return, they were all confused in the front about whether or not we got an absentee credit or not...I can't leave out the part where I cried all night the day before he finally went back, becuase I had a horrible feeling about the place!

The next day, he went back, but I was on the phone searching for any place with an opening. And, I found one!!!! It was at one of my top picks too! It is brand new, has a 3:10 ratio, and no teachers under 20 years of age! It is privately owned...and get this...the owners are actually on site EVERY DAY! The wife works the front desk! This is their livelihood...and they are committed to making sure everything is exceptional! I took a day off of work to get him registered, and also register sister at day camp...

Meanwhile, back at the other place....Micky picks the little man up at 5:00 pm...when he looks at how many bottles are left and the daily sheet, he realizes that he has not been fed since 9 am! Shut the Front Door! They are dang lucky I didn't report them! Needless to say, we are no longer at the CLH...sad really, because CLH@H in Keller was WONDERFUL!!!!!! they took immaculate care of Ava for 5 years!!!! I would never have even considered moving her - EVER!!!

I am happy. Dad is happy...and...most importantly, J is happy...they talk to him, and get this, he talks back! They style his hair. They tell me what a good day he has had. He gets excited to see us when we pick him up. I am comfortable leaving my son.

I am a working mom. Confidence in the quality care my children receive is a non-negotiable!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

What a nightmare. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I have already started losing sleep over the whole daycare situation. I am so glad you guys found a better place for him. BTW - love the see the little guy reading already.

Jenny said...

that is crazy. i had a friend who had to put her infant in the hospital due to lack of feedings at day care. i can't believe these people can sleept at night! poor guy. good to hear it has all worked out. and good thing momma is happy, that's all that matters. :)

The Blackburns said...

Did I forget to mention that one of the teachers, maybe 20 years old at the most, was pregnant? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????????Is that the kind of care she would want her child to have...I bet not...

4Blackburn's said...

He is getting to be such a BIG boy....can't wait to see him!!! I'm so glad you got the day care situation worked out. It is not easy leaving them...but much easier when you know they are cared for and loved!!!

Traci said...

Girl I know I told you that I am so happy for you... but WOW! I can't imagine them not feeding him. I ran the baby room in High School and had 5 at once and I guarantee they all ate, had dry diapers and had lots of love! I can't imagine! I am so happy Jett has wonderful people who love him now taking care of him. Can I say that I was really not surprised to see him reading! :) He must have really wonderful parents!

The Blackburns said...

They claim he slept all day...really? Isn't that a concern?