I apologize for the lack of posts. I am exhausted, overwhelmed, and out of touch a bit with reality... I hope to regain a fraction of my sanity after 10:30 am on May 4th (after I turn in TAKS materiasl). Kelli, no funny post tonight...I am working on them though!
A teacher on my campus asked me to help her with a graduate school assignment about leadership, and the qualities of a good leader. Seeing as how my mind is mush right now, I needed to refresh my memory a little. As I was looking through some stuff in my portfolio, I came across a letter of reference from a dear friend and respected educator. It was a lovely letter, and if I was a perspective employer, I would hire me based on her recommendation...;o)! After I read it, I sat in the middle of our game room (full of random toys and boxes) and cried....and cried ....and cried....You see, this friend died last week.
As busy and scrambled as I am right now, I had put my emotions about this in a nice little box and put the box on a shelf in my mind. Sure a few escaped at the funeral on Tuesday, but those were quickly tucked away. But tonight, they are all coming undone. After reading her letter, I sat, remembering how I would tell her all of my frustrations about my job. One might have thought this inappropriate, seeing as how her husband was my boss, but she was able to separate herself. She was always willing to listen, and always gave her honest opinion (whether you wanted it or not). She was supportive of me when I decided to go back to school and begin a new phase of my career....subbing in my room so I could be on curriculum writing teams or attend a principal's meeting (never following the plans I left, and eventually forbidding me from leaving any plans). When I went to WRES last year as the SSS, she knew part of my job was to organize campus tutors. She knew just how important it was to me (both personally and professionally to do a good job) and she volunteered to tutor. Her illnesses caused her to be in pain most days, but she was there every day, and suffered in silence...for me...but most importantly for the students at WRES! Although stubborn and a little too independent at times, she was a gifted educator, caring individual and genuine friend.
She left this world far too early. She left behind a husband and daughter who relied on her for countless things...some they probably aren't even aware of yet. Her husband is a great leader and kind man. He was my boss. Not my friend. Yet, on Tuesday, when he saw me, he came over and gave me a big hug. He held on for several seconds. In an e-mail the day she died, he replied. "thank you for being her friend." He got it. He understood that while many of the people in the room were there because he was their boss, there were those of us there that loved her, and were her friends. To those of you who follow my blog, and were there (at the funeral or visitation), trust that he knows that you were there because of what she meant, not who he is!
As I sit here tonight, I think about the supportive e-mail she sent the night before the first round of TAKS. I will treasure her support and encouragement always. Most importantly, I sit here thinking about the fact that for the last few months I have sacrificed my family for unpacking boxes and my job. The stuff has been in boxes for 9 months...what's a few more? And, while it may mean that I may not get everything on my list done, I will do the best I can....because, I refuse to let my job come first. Life is too precious. This time I have while my children are young will not last forever. Hug your children. Kiss your spouse. Call your mom. Call your BFF (she misses you too!).
5 comments:
Kim,
That was beautiful and so true. Life is too short. Love hard.
Denise
Kim and Micky,
Is your blog private? I just came across your site bookmarked on my computer and thought..."I need to catch up w/ my friends." Anyway, I noticed your private blog post and I don't think I had requested to be added. Or, maybe you added me?
Just checking...
GS
G - we haven't gone private...I haven't had time...
Will add you when I do!
Kim - I am sure your friend will never forget the special realationship you shared. Those special relationships with the ones we cherish live on. I know she will never stop being missed, thoguht of, and loved for everything she was.
Lisa was a wonderful, caring, honest, hard-working person much like yourself. I know that she made a difference in your life. I'm sure she knew it too.
BTW, you should call your BFF. She misses you but she is so glad she got to spend a couple of hours catching up despite the circumstances.
Post a Comment