So, Ava's teacher laughs at some of the things she comes up with, and has termed them...avaisms...so...here is today's avaism....
Ava attends a challenge class every Monday. She absolutely LOVES going to this class. They keep a binder with their work it it, and tonight, as we sat at the dinner table, I looked through her work. And then, the following conversation takes place....
Mom: looking at a page with groups of items on it, and one or more items were crossed out on each row. "Ava, tell me what you were doing on this activity."
Ava: "Well, we were supposed to mark out the things that didn't belong."
Mom: "Tell me about what you marked out on each row."
Ava: Pointing to a row with a picture of a blanket, picnic basket, ants and snowboots, with the ants marked out. "Well, here, I marked out the ants because they don't belong."
Mom: Wondering how the ants don't belong with the picnic basket and blanket..."and how do the ants not belong?"
Ava: "Mom, ants are alive. The other things are not living."
Can you argue with that? Outside of the box....always....
And then....
Mom: "Tell me why you marked out the the can (on a row with a dog, cat, can and car)."
Ava: "Well, the dog and cat walk on 4 legs. The car drives on 4 wheels. The can doesn't.
I wonder about her sometimes, and maybe that is because I have difficulty thinking outside of the box.....hmmm.....Love her......
3 comments:
I love her reasoning. It's a good thing she has that outlet to explore her ideas. Too cute.
She may quite possibly be smarter than me. That is sad.
I had to tell the first grade teachers to make sure when they do worksheets or tests like this in the future to ask her why she chose the answer she chose, before failing her! ;o)
Post a Comment