Well, the first week of school is over. It was exciting, busy, interesting and exhausting! First of all, I want to say that my school is HUGE - both in square footage and in number of students enrolled! I think our final count on Friday was somewhere around 965! As for the square footage...who knows...but, my feet, calves, shins and rear-end were begging for rest by Friday! I had to change into flip flops every afternoon not because of swelling, but for comfort! Ava was in bed and asleep by 8:30 every night and I was not far behind her! I must have looked really tired on Friday, because several people stopped me to ask if I was okay.
Trudy, my new principal, told me that there is nothing like "baptism by fire." Dr. Smith, our superintendent, reminded me that an AP is like a fire fighter. In order to be successful, I needed to put out the ones with the biggest flames first. I really like him...a fellow Aggie, he visited my office to find all of my Aggie decor. He was a little sad to find that my diploma was in storage (actually, my office isn't finished yet. Mom made precious curtains, Vicki (or Michelle) is working on a cool canvas, and I put a few of my favorite things on the top shelf (my canvas Kristi painted and my bowling pin to name a few).
Dismissal has been a challenge...try getting that many students home safely and in a reasonable amount of time...whew! I had a few strange situations, but with Trudy's help (and patience as I asked hundreds of questions) every "fire" was put out before I left on Friday (at 6:30)! One thing I have done this week, that I have really enjoyed, is visit every classroom to introduce myself, talk about making good choices and share a good book. It has really helped me get to know the teachers, the building and learn a few student faces. By Thursday, when students saw me in the cafeteria, they called me by name. I have been able to see Ava almost every day at lunch (I will share more about her first week later).
I did have to bring work home this weekend. I am about a third of the way through what I need to accomplish...there is still tomorrow. I took yesterday off to register for baby stuff, make a few hurricane preparations just in case, and rest! I love what I am doing, and think that Bauerschlag is the best place for me. The morning drive isn't bad at all. It is the afternoon that is a struggle - Ava is asleep and I am tired. Dad said that if and when I needed him to, he would take us and pick us up - what a great dad! I appreciate Trudy and our intern, Katie. I think this will be a great year!
No comments:
Post a Comment